Saturday, May 30, 2009

He Comes Near


The church board of management meeting was just about concluded and I had promised to drive a friend home. He had some questions to ask the rector, and I suggested that I would wait quietly in the semi-lit sanctuary.

The day had been busy with the demands of a rookie law practice and I welcomed this small opportunity to coast and let my thoughts go free. In front of me were the stained glass windows, the choir stalls, the pews, Prayer Book, Prayer Book, Bible, Prayer Book...

My eye fixed on one old black "Holy Bible". Hadn't spent much time in that. But I knew the Church seasons, celebrations, polity, creeds and daily considerations as the People's Warden.

Friend was taking his time. I reached for the scriptures and by chance opened to the beginning of the epistle of James, purportedly the brother of Jesus, and one who hadn't taken Him very seriously at the beginning.

The letter seemed surprisingly practical - trials and victory, good deeds backing up confession, impartiality to one's fellow man, cautious use of the tongue, avoiding strife and envy, honesty in business, the Second Coming of Jesus, power in humility, prayer for healing, loving counsel...

Wow! This stuff was good. I finished the epistle, and still no friend. A Voice inside seemed to say, "Doug, it's all good. Keep on chewing." The process was taking tangible form.

Now, I am not telling you to get alone in some chilly sanctuary. Your experience in ways will be unique. I am suggesting however, that you ready yourself for a revelation as to how gentle, wise, practical and available the Heavenly Father truly is.

Consider Psalm 81:10
I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment