A Courtroom Someday



The judge is so stern.
He frightens me.
The case is my life-
What end shall be?

The gallery is filled,
An angel crowd.
The docket is called-
My name read loud.

Accuser declares,
His brief is packed
With evil I did,
With grace I lacked.

All constables stand
Alert today.
Strong chains are in place
To lead away.

I turn from my box
To seek a face.
Friends out of my past?
But not a trace.

The clerk of the court
Asks me to rise:
“Which lawyer serves you
At this assize?”

I tell him of One,
Jesus, by name,
Who came to my cell,
My case to claim.

I called for His help
Upon arrest.
My case was severe;
He was the best.

He asked for no fee,
Just trust in Him.
The judge was quite fair;
Our case would win.

I told Him with tears,
With grief and shame,
The charges were true.
I was to blame.

But somehow, this man,
With eyes so clear,
Commanded my trust,
Relieved my fear.

“Jesus the Christ
Argues today.
See, His arrival;
Hear Him, I pray.”

The great Advocate takes his place.
(Accuser looks nervous and frowns.)
This Jesus- light shines from His face,
Makes challenge on primary grounds.

“My Lord, there is precedent here.
A case can be tried but one time.
The charges at bar were all cleared.
Remember the trial, it was mine…

On Calvary’s hill I was nailed;
And judged in your eyes as all sin.
In Hell’s dungeon halls, Light prevailed,
And you ruled: ‘Enough for all men’.

This dear contrite soul has my plea,
By taking my name for his case.
And justly, you must set him free,
For, Father, I died in his place!”

His Lordship then smiles to the court
And looks upon me with changed eyes:
“Your faith has brought this good report,
A friend of my Son never dies.”

JOB 9: 1, 2, 32, 33
Then Job answered and said, I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God? If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand…For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

A Look at Madam Bubble

Crissy is Clean