Darkness Comes


Still comes the darkness
To the saint who yearns for God.
To the one who walks in all he knows,
Some times alone are trod.

Still comes the darkness,
When he must leave earthly kin,
When he must through pangs of conscience come
Apart from all known sin.

Still comes the darkness,
When all wickedness prevails;
When the saint is made the laugh of men,
The target of false tales.

Still comes the darkness,
And it puzzles most to think
That his God who holds the answers
Has fled to let him sink.

Still comes the darkness,
When bereft of guiding light,
He wonders, left at his wit’s end
If he heard scripture right.

Still comes the darkness,
When the problems seem to grow;
When the saint sees no clear remedy,
And so must wait to know.

Still comes the darkness,
And the saint has naught to claim,
But that God who loves and lifted him
Will not forget his name.

Still comes the darkness,
As with Joseph, wrongly jailed.
As with David to a cave pursued.
And Jesus, cruelly nailed.

But this is Father’s shadow
O’er the saint as God goes by.
Cleft in the rock and ‘neath God’s hand,
He need not wonder why.

The Father comes no closer
Than in such times of pain;
Then in a voice triumphant, cries:
“Child, let’s be off again!”

PSALM 42: 4, 5
When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble