Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Yoke


The night club song says "You'll Never Walk Alone". It was a favourite with Jerry Lewis at the end of each Labour Day Telethon.

Neil Diamond would croon "He Ain't Heavy. He's My Brother". The lyrics went on to say:

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another.

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother. (Rufus Wainwright)

All the questions of such a journey and the prospect of companionship and strong support are answered in Jesus. In Matthew chapter 11 he offered to share his yoke with the believer, saying that it was easy and the burden light. Could it be any other way with omnipotence at your shoulder? Who is the one doing the lion's share of the hauling?

Men may be flighty; their help sporadic. But Jesus? Never!

No comments:

Post a Comment