Monday, August 3, 2009

Out of Pilate's Hands


It escapes me,
How when given choice between the two,
They took the lesser chap.
Quite escapes me,
For Barabbus walks, but Jesus takes the rap!

It escapes me,
How when given chance to speak his case,
He had few words to say.
Quite escapes me,
Truthful teacher, king; he will not rule today!

It astounds me,
How the mob could cheer him into town
Their Galilean friend.
Quite astounds me,
Now in spite of kindness shown, they seek his end.

It astounds me,
How the privileged ones who guide their faith
Incite the murderous cry.
Quite astounds me,
Not a stitch of evidence to fairly try!

It eludes me,
Charges cannot change from black to white,
If he must answer make.
Quite eludes me,
Must I risk my place with Rome for mercy’s sake?

It disgusts me,
But perhaps they would accept some blood
To quench their frenzied lust.
Quite disgusts me,
Must I flog this gentle man in shame and dust?

It escapes me,
I am called to task, for Caesar’s sake,
To stop this curious coup.
Quite escapes me,
When their leaders threaten so, what can I do?

It escapes me,
So, a crucifixion they will have.
Farewell to this poor fool.
But it haunts me,
How in fear I’ve acquiesced to those I rule!

JOHN 19:10, 11, 12
Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? Knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin. And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar’s friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment