Through the Knothole


From Psalm 27:

11Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

12Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

13I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

14Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.


This is one of those scriptures which stands as a milestone in my spiritual experience. I clung to it as I went through the knothole.

I was still practicing law and I had been sued by two clients and their bank for solicitor's negligence. A lot of money at stake. Allegations that I had not advised them adequately of the risks of certain financing arrangements in a plan for apartment developments. They met with initial success, but then set-backs and the one partner left the country. The remaining one sought legal counsel from the big city and I cooperated with meetings and extensive disclosure from my files. All seemed positive but then two months later I was being sued.

A defense lawyer was assigned to me by the Law Society. He could see from my materials that I had given the men adequate advice and warnings before and during the venture. Nevertheless the legal proceeding would have to play itself out for a time. For about eighteen months I held on to the hopes given me while my colleagues in the chatty legal community in that small town whispered about "poor Doug".

The day finally arrived for our pre-trial discovery examinations and Hilary, pregnant at the time, insisted upon acompanying me to Toronto for this ordeal. Little Lauren came as well. As we left home the phone was ringing, but I suggested that we ignore it and get moving. Hilary drove and I rested. My attention was taken at a point by a little message magnet which my wife had stuck on the glove compartment. It displayed the final verse of Psalm 27. I pulled out my pocket Testament and looked it up. Imagine my surprise when the words appeared to describe my very condition and offer comfort!

Late finding a hotel. Late settling down for the night. The following morning Hilary planned to enjoy amenities at the hotel while I headed downtown. Big law firm. Prestigious reception area. I read my psalm over again twice. Somehow things were all going to work together for good. My Lawyer finally entered, his hand extended:

"Doug, I'm awfully sorry. I tried to reach you by phone last night but apparently you had left. The other parties have settled with us. You are completely off the hook. No claim. No costs. No more involvement. Congratulations."

Thank God. I tell you all of this to give glory to my Heavenly Father. I was just the little bird caught in the snare. Perhaps you are facing some dilemma. Cry out to Him. Take courage from His word. You also will be given "milestones".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble