The Constancy of Christ


(Taken from a letter from Samuel Rutherford to Alexander Gordon of Garloch, 1637)

If Christ were as I am, that time could work upon him to alter him, or that the morrow could bring a new day to him,or bring a new mind to him, as it is to me a new day, I could not keep a house or a covenant with him. Bit I find Christ to be Christ, and that he is far, far, even infinite heaven's height above men; and that is all our happiness.

Sinners can do nothing but make wounds, that Christ may heal them; and make debts, that he may pay them; and make falls, that he may raise them; and make deaths, that he may quicken them; and spin out and dig hells for themselves, that he may ransom them.

Now, I will bless the Lord that ever there was such a thing as the free grace of God, and a free ransom given for sold souls: Only, alas! Guiltiness maketh me ahamed to apply to Christ, and to think it pride in me to put out my unclean and withered hand to such a Saviour. But it is neither shame nor pride for a drowning man to swim to a rock, nor for a ship-broken soul to run himself ashore upon Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble