What is His Name?


Exodus 3:

13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.


God gave only Yahweh as the term of reference. Jehovah. The eternal, uncreated, sovereign "I AM". To Moses' culture a parent would name a child. An artist would name a creation. A writer would name his work, a songster his song. A landowner would name his estate.

In Eden Adam had been given authority to name all the creatures. He took it upon himself to name his helpmate "Eve". This presumption led to the curse of woman striving against man.

But who was in the place to name the Eternal? Through the ages he would be called the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. It was as if he had been saying, "I can not be contained, limited, relegated to a part of the whole." He was and is the whole!

But in the scriptures he has allowed glimpses of definition in the Jehovah names. They are worthy of study, particularly at this time of giving thanks.

Jehovah Jireh - God will provide (Genesis 22:13,14)

Jehovah Rapha - The God that healeth thee (Exodus 15:26)

Jehovah Nissi - God my banner (Exodus 17:15)

Jehovah Shalom - God is peace (Judges 6:24)

Jehovah Sabbaoth - God of hosts (1 Samuel 1:3)

Jehovah Maccaddeschem - God thy sanctifier (Exodus 31:13)

Jehovah Raah - God is my shepherd (Psalm 23:1)

Jehovah Tsidkenu - God our righteousness (Jeremih 23:6)

Jehovah el Gmola - God of recompenses (Jeremiah 51:56)

Jehovah Nakeh - God that smiteth (Ezekiel 7:9)

Jehovah Shammah - God who is present (Ezekiel 48:35)

What has the Lord proved Himself to be to you? Hallowed (set apart, honoured, beautified) be His Name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble