Footnotes Holler Out Loud


It is seldom these days that I attend to the study notes appended to one of my Bibles. There was a time when I needed the guidance of such resources to tie my reading into the main themes of redemption and the progressive revelation of God alone coming as Saviour.

But this morning I really got one. I was reading Psalm 63 which has David out in the wilderness being hounded by Saul's men, and longing for the glory of God's sanctuary.

He begins:

1O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

2To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

3Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

4Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.


He continues with thanksgiving for past deliverance:

7Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

As an aside he states with confidence the likely fate of his enemies, those who transgress against his wonderful God, and hold him in derision:

9But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

10They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.


Now here is what struck me. The commentator's wrap up is the following:

David declares his longing for spiritual renewal (vv.1,2), he expresses his thankful mood (vv.3-6), he gives voice to his trust in God (vv. 7,8), and he announces his hope for the future (vv. 9-11). Enemies are mentioned only in passing (vv. 9,10)

That is it my friends! Let the God of your victory loom large in your consciousness. Say as did the writer of Hebrews, 'the Lord is on my side. I will not fear what man (or demons) shall do unto me.'

Although we must understand the purposes and devices of our adversaries we must not dwell upon the opposition and the risks which we face. Too much time spent in that fashion and we resemble the little rabbit who stares so long at the snake that he becomes paralyzed. Instead enemies in the flesh become subjects for prayer. They may one day become part of the spiritual family. Enemies in the spirit are already defeated, and their lies and threats need resolute dismissal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble