Restless for the Team


Sunday mornings come and go. People smile, say hello and wish each other God speed. Consider a word of exhortation or remembrance. Sing some praise choruses which honour and celebrate our Lord. Get the kids in front of some other adults telling them Jesus is wonderful. Jesus is involved.

But I am dissatisfied. Not as a consumer. It is not about personal satiation. I have a Bible. I have a prayer corner. My wife is a woman of faith and fellow traveler. We have a few friends who will consider the Lord with us over the phone, or at a coffee shop or house gathering. We have some glorious worship music. We share our faith and confidence when opportunities arise.

BUT there is this command of scripture to assemble, to worship and to come into agreement. There is a team requirement. Therefore we seek out and lend support to a local assembly. Its good points? A heart and agenda for missions. Jubilant praise. A "full gospel" tradition. Frequent salvation invitations. Meals and support for the university community. A diverse blend of ages, races, vocations and family situations. An articulate, sensitive man in the pulpit.

Its bad points? .......(I have deleted about a third of this article. It was not given in the right spirit. Forgive me).......












One day in the midst of all this my grousing, I was reading a sermon by Robert Murray M'Cheyne. Other posts on this blog will reveal aspects of that great though short-lived life of Gospel service. He too was rebuking a fellowship for their lack of fervour. But then in the midst of his message he was reminded of how Jesus would always make the most of whatever spiritual warmth he encountered. He would not dampen the weak and smouldering response:

Isaiah 42:

1Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

2He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

3A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble