Let the King of Glory Enter


(Taken from Explanatory Notes in Charles Spurgeon's commentary on Psalm 24:7)

Be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Some interpret this of the doors of our heart, according to that Revelation 3:20 , "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him," etc. In the gospel history, we find that Christ had a fourfold entertainment among men. Some received him into house, not into heart, as Simon the Pharisee Luke 7:44 , who gave him no kiss nor water to his feet; some into heart, but not into house, as the faithful centurion Mt 8:8, esteeming himself unworthy that Christ should come under his roof; some neither into house nor heart, as the graceless Gergesites Matthew 8:34 ; some both into house and heart, as Lazarus, Mary, Martha. John 3:15 Luke 10:38 . Now that Christ may dwell in our hearts by faith, and that our bodies may be temples of his Holy Spirit, we must as our prophet exhorts here, lift up our souls, that is, in the words of St. Paul Colossians 3:2 , our affections must be set on things which are above, and not on things which are on earth: if we desire to lift up our hearts unto Christ's verity, we may not lift them up unto the world's vanity; that is, we must not fasten our love too much upon the things of this life, but on those pleasures at God's right hand which are evermore; that as we have borne the image of the first Adam, who was earthly, so we should bear the image of the second Adam, which is heavenly. 1 Corinthians 15:49 . The profane worldling sings a Nunc dimittis unto Christ, and saith as the devils, "Ah! what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth?" Mark 1:24 ; and as Job reports his words, "Depart from us, for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways." Job 21:14 . On the contrary, the religious soul, enjoying the possession of the Saviour, chants a merry Magnificat, and a pleasant Te Deum she saith unto Christ, as Ruth unto Naomi Ruth 1:16 , "Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee." Nay, death itself shall not part us, for when I am loosed out of my body's prison, I hope to be with Christ; as Ittai then unto David, I say unto Jesus, "As the Lord liveth, and as my lord the king liveth, surely in what place my lord the king shall be, whether in death, or life, even there also will thy servant be." 2Sa 15:21. O Lord, which art the God of my salvation, I lift my heart to thee, desirous to seek thee, both in the right ubi -- where thou mayest be found, and in the right quando -- while thou mayest be found. Psalms 18:47 25:1. Open my dull ears and hard heart, that thy Son my Saviour may come in and dwell with me. Grant me grace that I may still hear while he calleth, open while he knocketh, and hold him also when I have him; that I may both ascend thine hill, and stand in thy holy place; that I may not only sojourn in thy tabernacle, but also rest and dwell upon the mountain of thine holiness. John Boys

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble