Not Negotiable


An interesting situation was developing before me in the bank line-up. The customer was becoming more upset by the second. The teller more flustered.

"Miss, I don't understand it. I want the money. The cheque is made out to me. It is drawn on this bank. The money is in his account. He has signed the cheque. My friend is away for a couple of weeks. He has asked me to do certain things on his behalf. I have shown you my I.D. I also have an account with this institution. What gives?"

"Sir I am awfully sorry. We have a strict protocol on this. I cannot help you. Somehow the account number has been obscured on this cheque. I cannot read it. My supervisor cannot read it. It cannot be negotiated at this time. I must deal with the other people in line now."

That got me thinking. How many times recently in church have I seen a failure to name the powerful name of Jesus:

In praise songs we fail to name Jesus.
In sermons we fail to name Jesus.
In prayer requests we fail to name Jesus.
In giving a testimony we fail to name Jesus.
In commissioning for service we fail to name Jesus.
In laying on of hands we fail to name Jesus.
In stating our corporate purpose we fail to name Jesus.

Then we find ourselves perplexed and wondering at loss of power, loss of effectiveness, loss of specific direction, loss of converts, loss of attendance, loss of a tangible sense of the presence and involvement of God.

We may be offering up that which is non-negotiable.

John 10:
9. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

John 14;
13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.


The old chorus says:

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
There's just something about that name.
Master, Saviour Jesus,
Like the fragrance after the rain.
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
Let all heaven and earth proclaim,
Kings and kingdoms will all pass away,
But there's something about that name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

A Look at Madam Bubble

Crissy is Clean