Friday, December 10, 2010

Bethlehem King


This is the King?
This is the King?
This is the one for whom all angels sing?
This is the King?
Wee fragile thing.
This is the Son of the Lord?

Here in this stall?
Here in this stall?
Here in this squalor, so rude, beasts and all?
Here in this stall?
By God's own call?
This is the Son of the Lord?

Of this maid born?
Of this maid born?
Of this girl resting in straw to keep warm?
Of this maid born?
Salvation's horn?
This is the Son of the Lord?

By shepherds praised?
By shepherds praised?
By simple shepherds, unlearned and amazed?
By shepherds praised?
Our Good News raised?
This is the Son of the Lord?

What times of strife.
What times of strife.
What risk that Herod would snuff out his life.
What times of strife.
Wickedness rife.
Could he be Son of the Lord?

Star's diadem?
Star's diadem?
On David's city, the promise of men.
Star's diadem?
O'er Bethlehem.
Long looked for Son of the Lord?

Strange men offer.
Strange men offer.
Strange gifts of frankincense, rich gold and myrrh
Strange signs of priest-king
With death to endure.
All for the Son of the Lord.

Humility.
Humility.
Humble the Christ came to you and to me.
Humility.
How we must see!
This is the Son of the Lord.

I am but straw.
I am but sheep.
I am but squalor, my wickedness deep.
I am unlearned.
Christ end my sleep!
Be born in me, Jesus, Lord.

Micah 5:

2But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment