Latest from Eldredge


“Have you read the latest from John Eldredge? I tell ya, the guy really seems to get inside my skin. I can relate to so much of what he says about the plight of Christian men in today’s society. Marriage. Parenting. Relationships with other men. Finance. Competition. Community service.

He seems to find some really stirring testimonies. And they are honest both in challenges and successes. In dealing with the testosterone – sex, anger, drive for legacy. I never miss one of his volumes. And our Men’s Group at the Church has made good use of several.”

The speaker was about thirty-eight. Connected. Visibly successful. Trim. An honest and straight expression.

The other man was about sixty-seven. Stooped. The shoulders massive. The gaze incisive.

“No Dave, I haven’t read Eldredge. Instead I have read again the four Gospels, Acts, Paul’s Second Letter to the Corinthians. And many stirring Christian biographies. David Livingstone, Hudson Taylor, William Carey, Robert Murray M’Cheyne, D. L. Moody, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, Martin Niemoller and others. I find it very bracing to realize how much those men and women of former times had hearts beating with the same love and compulsion. How timeless was and is our Gospel.

Not meaning any disrespect to author Eldredge I must confess that I do not have the time for him. It is another example of the good being the enemy of the best."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reform School Reformed

Crissy is Clean

A Look at Madam Bubble