Thursday, April 26, 2012

It's God's Call

I do not come into this pulpit hoping that perhaps somebody will of his own free will return to Christ. My hope lies in another quarter. I hope that my Master will lay hold of some of them and say, "You are mine, and you shall be mine. I claim you for myself." My hope arises from the freeness of grace, and not from the freedom of the will.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon



Our preaching is not a matter of intellectual jousting. Apologists are mistaken in thinking that they can convince people into the Kingdom of Heaven. As if some light goes on saying, "That sounds like a good deal. I'm in for it".

We are to 'take with us words', Gospel words that have the power to beget new life, as Peter tells us in his First Letter.
It is always better for the preacher to importune God for His input and mercy, than to spend much time struggling over sermon heads and catchy lists of words.

In the pulpit one must recognize the role of God's oracle with reproductive, cleansing, comforting and enabling power not his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment